View Single Post
Old 20th May 2007, 19:55
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Rich, I can't recall what bore my goodridge tubing is, but I think it's 3/16 - my friend is in the bespoke tubing business, and what I have is standard issue brake / clutch hose. Whatever size the hose might be, one thing is for sure, there are no problems with the bore damping the flow. When you bleed the system you'll see how small a quantity of fluid is displaced with each pedal stroke, hence the inconsequential effect of any dynamic losses in the system.

When I said 95% that wasn't totally accurate, and is just my best guess from what I recall when I built my rather odd clutch system. I know that 100% pedal stroke is very close to being 100% of the master cylinder's stroke.

I would say my clutch starts to bite around 35-40% of the stroke above the fully depressed position, and is fully engaged around 65% of the travel. I've not measured it though, and the figures are just my best interpretation of what I feel through my foot!

What is the case with my setup, is that with the lever ratios compromised to suit the pedal length needed in the Marlin, the clutch is quite sharp when compared to typical modern cars.

Rich, have you gone for straight copper, of cunifer? I don't know what the SVA requirements are, but I was lead to believe a few years back, that cunifer should be used instead of copper as it's less likely to degrade in the presence of brake fluid.