View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2017, 15:33

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mick, Mr T & Oxford - Thanks chaps.

I've spent a long time on this build convincing myself that a 'rough and ready' race car look would be good enough for me.

So now that I am finally getting close to paint, I just need to keep the faith with this idea and pick my battles.

Going back through old build threads, I was reminded of this great post about a less than professional finish…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
So, that's another couple of hours spent smoothing down the little blobs of knifing putty.

I've found that there are a couple of areas, on the rear wings especially, where I've damaged/altered and repaired the body and I've left ripples and dints that I just don't have the skill (or patience) to get straight, so they'll have to stay.

There is a danger though, that the finished result is going to look like a 60 year old race car that's had a hard life on the track and been damaged and hastily repaired in the paddock occasionally in its past.

Hang on a minute...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bonus Session:
Went into central London for a meeting, only to find I'd been 'stood up' due to illness, which was a big waste of time.

Still, at least I got an unexpected slot for working on the car that I tried to take advantage of…

The boot lid was sanded down and given another coat of high build primer.

Then I switched to the front drive to sand down the knife putty applied yesterday.

I also started sanding down the area around the driver's side headlight/front wheel arch.

Unfortunately, at this point it started to rain, so I just dropped what I was doing and got the covers on.

Although I did manage to take a few photos first.

Note: I need to do a bit of remedial filler work around the fixing points for the front indicator.

Slowly, but surely, more of the car is reaching this first stage of prepping for paint.

Given it was a bonus session, the fact it started to rain didn't seem to bother me.

So until next time, take care, Paul.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Manchester Attack:
With two teenage daughters of my own, my heart goes out to everyone who suffered in this attack.

I've also taken my children to concerts like these and, more recently, been standing outside waiting to pick them up.

My girls will be taking their A levels and GCSEs next year and that is one of the main reasons the car needs to be painted now, or never.

As I want to use my spare time next year to support them, not crawl around on the ground sanding places no one will see!

"Let's be careful out there."