View Single Post
Old 12th February 2018, 22:29

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Paul,
many thanks for posting these links and I'd like to support yours and Mitchelkitman's suggestion that everyone responds whether they are affected or not.

However, I have read the proposed response and can't help feeling it won't be an effective way of changing the DfT's mind. I can understand that emotions are running high (my own blood boiled when I first read it!!) but a letter with inaccuracies and exagerated claims may just be tossed in the bin.

Statements such as "it will render all current builds as scrap and will potentially kill a multi-billion industry stone dead." are incorrect.
Also, the Code of Practise for Consultations is an old document that has been superseded. A quick google search will find the latest version of the governments guidelines(2016) that does not require 12 weeks.

I am genuinely concerned that letters like these will dismissed out of hand and not counted as valid objections.

I'm working on an alternative response for others to copy or plagiarise as they see fit.
I will post it on here when I'm happy with it.

cheers, Peter
A measured response is indeed likely to be more effective than an emotive response - but anything is possibly better than no response
Maybe a good approach is to use the 'politicians' speak and keep parameters loose enough whilst getting the point across eg. A change of engine for an individual's car may involve so many associated parts that the extra cost will be beyond the budget. eg2. A change of engine for a manufacturer may not be possible either mechanically or economically (for instance a suitably compact engine with ancilliaries such as exhaust manifold in a safe place may not exist) rendering the Companies loss of market and employees jobs. I'm basing my response mainly on the extra environmental impact of manufacturing compared to the emissions the donor car engine would generate through being driven a low annual mileage - I accept this is unquantified, but may strike the right chord. I'm sure others will give many good reasons.