View Single Post
Old 12th June 2015, 07:55

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Good story Ed! Great days doing hay timing and stuff... Look forward to the pony and JCB tale...

Yes it needs a cool head (Ed!) and some thought, I am sure this can be resolved, I haven't cut louvers in the bonnet sides yet but not convinced they are essential. There is no clutter in the engine bay, it isn't over hot. I think it's probably running weak due to the over free air filters and that's causing it to get a bit warmer than optimum. I think fuel vaporisation is the reason for the failure to start when hot, and unrestricted breathing the reason for gasping on acceleration in high gear.

I am concerned I may blow a hole in a piston running it weak, it can happen so easily. That would be a disaster.

Currently planning to try to restrict the air intake with some sort of sleeve, possibly an old jumper sleeve or tracky pants leg. These filters are pretty un-restrictive, the standard air filter is two paper drums inside a steel housing with about a 45mm dia. air intake. I think that is the clue. Without an exhaust gas analyser I am groping in the dark, so I am going to have to be lucky to hit a sweet spot, not too weak for the pistons and valves and definitely not too rich for the test.