View Single Post
Old 21st July 2015, 05:39

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1958 Rocker View Post
8 Valve Ed,
I have it from a contact in the DVSA as they now are that all the decat, bobtailing and shortening mods are going to be banned, along with rechecking that "historic (tax exempt) Cars" meet the eight point rule. If not, impounded and owner has to reregister,and iva/sva before they can have their car back. Exemption will cease on all modified cars like these. This is why its so crucial to build the Sammios/Ribbles/Miglias as designed. Soon us vehicle inspectors will be liable for confirming "correct build" with the obvious responsibility for turning a blind eye.
The 1958 Rocker
There was a thread on "Rod 'n' Sods" about this recently and there seems to be a lot of confusion.

My (very) limited understanding is that the problem area is "Reconstructed Classics" and linked to problems with the Bugatti owners club.

The story goes that some owners of very expensive "original" cars were not happy when cars rebuild around a just a handful of old parts were being accepted by the DVLA as being "reconstructed classics" and getting an age related (and therefore historic) number plates. So if you knew what you were doing you could build several "old" Bugattis from one car and make a lot of money. The problem was that unless they were using an original Bugatti chassis each time, it would not be legal under the 8 point rule and there require IVA & maybe even a Q plate. So I understand that the DVLA were "tipped off" and it has all "kicked off".

So whilst some people have received letters like the one below. The key point is that the problem is not that with the "historic vehicle" part, but rather the "recorded date of manufacture" part, hence the confusion.

So in the case of my Sammio Cordite, whilst I now have "Triumph Swordfish" on the V5C, it is still made in 1980. As far as I can tell, I would only have a problem if I'd managed to convince the DVLA is was made in 1955.

Hope that helps, Paul.