View Single Post
Old 9th February 2017, 07:00

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Super 2s and Rain Stopped Play Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggsy
Nice one Mick, I always liked the Monaco, very similar to a Super Two which I once owned, A Ford side valve E93a based special, unfortunately I can't find a photo of it at the moment!
My future brother-in-law had one in the 60s when he was courting my sister, it prompted me to buy a Lotus VI, also 1172 side-valve powered. I don't have a picture of that Super Two to hand, although I know there's a monochrome Kodak Brownie 127 snap taken by my late mother somewhere.

However, I do have these taken at The Specials Day (not a punk re-union) which is held on the second Sunday of August each year at The Cotswold Wildlife Park in Burford, Oxfordshire. The green one turned up at The Kit Car Show a few years ago on Spitfire underpinnings and on 15" MGF 'Minilites' which, coincidentally, I bought yesterday for the Monaco!

I have quite a bit of Les Montgomery (the father of the Super Two) memorabilia which I've collected over the years. His shop, Super Accessories in Catford, was on my doorstep and I bought an Aquaplane aluminium flywheel and valve chest cover from him for the Lotus VI. In a further coincidence, last week, when selecting a gear knob for the Monaco so that the gear stick didn't hole the cover, I chose the ally one sporting the arms of the city of Monza that I also bought there in the 60s for 7/6. Synchronicity!

The Super Two's claim to fame was that it retailed at £99, although the floor was an extra! The body was a 'Hamblin Cadet' from the firm of that name in Dorset.

I took the rear drive and suspension off the 'new' chassis yesterday but the rain started again at a natural break in proceedings so this is where I've got to.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 9th February 2017 at 08:37..