View Single Post
Old 29th September 2017, 06:42

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

...or you could try putting it on a Herald or Vitesse chassis.

I think it might fit without too much chopping and changing of the body, and you'd benefit from tax exempt status (but maybe not MOT exempt???).

Plus, as a bonus of going down that radical route, you'd also have a more characterful choice of Triumph four and six cylinder engines rather than the SS1's Ford CVH, an engine Jeremy Clarkson described back in the early 80's as '...so nasty Moulinex rejected it for its Magimix.' I had an XR3i in 1983 and he was right, it's a nasty, thrashy lump that revs ok but sends loads of vibration through the major controls and sounds like a bag of spanners being rattled.

If anyone's worrying about the way an old Herald chassis handles, don't. My Spyder was on a Mk1 Vitesse base with swing axles at the back and, with all new bushes, bearings, shocks and suitably softened springs, it handled very well on the road. Shedding 350 kilos of steel bodywork and lowering the centre of gravity made for a very sweet handling package.

Phil J's old no.2 is built on a Courier van chassis upgraded to Rotoflex rear suspension, and about two years ago his car lapped a race track in exactly the same time as a Porsche 911, and that was before he gave his engine another 60 or so bhp.

Build one of Gary's latest creations on a Herald or Vitesse chassis, soften the suspension and give the engine a straight through exhaust and the car will put a huge smile on your face every time you drive it. What more do you want?

Last edited by Mister Towed; 29th September 2017 at 06:46..