View Single Post
Old 20th September 2018, 12:33

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

For those following Nostromo’s build thread you will know that I have started to wire up the lights, indicators etc on my MRS 200 build.

Everything went smoothly until I came to the headlights which I expected to be an issue given I am basing my build on a facelift MR2 Roadster with separate lights for low and main beam. The issue is that the kit is based on using Golf Mk2 headlights which use the H4 connector/bulb which has a single earth for both circuits. Short and long of it was that both low and high beam circuits were active when low beam was on if you used either of the earths on the H4 block.

A bit of circuit designing with relays finally got to a solution whereby a standard 4 pin relay was used to switch the main beam +ve connection to the H4 plug/connector. For anyone else still working out how to do this on their MRS200 build here’s a rough (and I mean very rough) circuit diagram, but please note that when I drew this the H4 connector is wrong in that the top lug should be low and the side lug main beam.

Everything is wired up now and I just need to go back and tidy up with some further soldering and heat shrink insulation. The only other challenge with the wiring was cleaning up the original rear lights I’d managed to source (RS Cosworth 3 door) which when I finally got to look at the connectors and wiring strips for the bulb holders were very corroded. Here’s a wiring/pin out diagram for rear lights if anyone is still looking for this.

Another impulse purchase to share with other builders....and probably one of the cheapest. I was trying to replicate the original RS200 sill jacking point covers and for the life of me couldn’t find any reference online as to what the originals were made from (rubber or plastic). Mike Noy helped me out (he’s the guy who built the MR2 MK2 RS200 replica which to me looks like one of the most original as a replica) in looking on eBay for plastic plug hole covers ! They are 50mm and come threaded with a backing plate. There’s enough space on the inside of the MRS200 sill cover to attach them and as a bit of light relief from wiring that’s next on the list. Here’s a couple of pics and let me know if you want the eBay link .. easy enough to find if you just search for white plastic plug hole cover.

Last edited by SwiftyDS; 25th October 2018 at 13:41..