Thread: Running reports
View Single Post
Old 24th November 2008, 22:13
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Peter

I did a lot of research into the engine options for my Cabrio, before deciding to go for the M50 2.5.
My decision was based on:
As relatively new design as possible
As efficient as possible
Electrically simple

Patrick is right about the M52. When BMW replaced the M50 with the M52they had to meet tougher emission/insurance regulations. They then had to increase the cc upto 2.8 to achieve the same power output as the M50 2.5
By simply changing the inlet manifold from the M50 2.5 on to the M52 2.8 will take the BHP up to 220BHP. These are advertised on ebay and I have seen them make £100 each. I have one which I may well sell in the future when I am sure my modification to my manifold has proven successful - we have to chop 75mm out of the manifold to fit it in the Cabrio - not sure if you'll have to do the same in a Sportster - I guess you may have to as ???? has a purple Sportster fitted with the M50 and he has fitted a special home made glass fibre elbow, but I think this is believed to restrict the air flow at the top end.
Have a look at my site on flickr to see the drastic action necesary to make it fit a Cabrio.
I chose not to go down the M52 route as the engine electronics are tied in to the cars central locking system and even the electronic key- so if you do go down this route be prepared to either adopt the entire M52 wiring loom, or make sure you know a good BMW electrician who can reprogram the chip to blank off the ingition switch, door lock sensors and all the others before the engine will work.
If you are prepared to take on the electronics of the M52 it should be a lovely engine with twin Vanos (variable valve timing on both inlet and outlet valves) the M50 has only single Vanos on the inlet.

Let us know what you finally decide to do, as this is really interesting.

Regards
Mike
Does anyone here know if the e46/M52 uses the same engine mounts as the e36/M50?
Also, any details of the mods required to the ecu or e46 wiring diagrams on the web?

thanks

Peter