View Single Post
Old 26th May 2009, 21:57
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Did anyone list what they finally used and where it came from? I already have a motor but nothing else. It would be good to know what peeps have used and where it came from for:

Wipers boxes - teeth? spindle length? spacers?
Bundy tube -
Wiper arms -
Wiper blades -

I can see this costing an arm (hoho) and a leg if I am not careful. And I thought I had stopped spending for a while....

Robin
Hi Robin,
I bought all the bits myself.
Wheel boxes were standard BL Mini ones. (Wheel boxes come in 32 or 40 teeth variants- not sure which ones I got but they work OK).
Try and get them with the spacers as these are expensive separately. I made my own spacers as they were so expensive, but it was an unnessasary extra chore really.
The chrome trims are also extras that add to the overall cost.
Bundy tube and motor drive gearwheel from S-V-C. They will cut and flange the bundy tube to your own dimensions. I mounted the wheel boxes and assembeled without the bundy tube to get the distances between the motor and the three wheel boxes. They have very useful instructions on their website and the guy is very helpful. He recomended a wheel stamped with 100 and it works just fine. (sold the original gear wheel on ebay and recovered about 50%)
http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/prod_wipers.html#techie

I used TEX Wiper arms and blades from Europaspares. They are good quality stainless steel.https://www.europaspares.com/WIPERS/...TYPE_1551.html
Arms are 5.2mm RHP - U71300
Blades are 9inch - B05109

The arms are adjustable length but I still had to cut a small piece off each one to get the right length which was easy as the arm just slides right out. You also have to put 'more angle' on the arm crank.

Finding the right position for the wheel box holes was by trial and measure. see below........
I chose the sprung mounted blades but I see Patick has the flat blade type. Both seem to work fine as the screen is flat.

It all adds up but I think I still saved a few bob over the Marlin kit price. SVC and Carbuildersolutions also do complete kits but getting the bundy tube cut and flared was worth the small extra charge.

You cut the drive shaft to length with a nice sharp cold chisel and that big effing hammer (just make sure nothing is in the way of the off-cut as it flys across your garage............)