View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2010, 20:22
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
But I need some advice on:

Steering rack stops - I understand it's just a case of some hose clamps on the rack - How many turns of the wheel each side should I allow for?

Toe in - How much?

Castor - I think this is OK as is, with 1 washer to the front and 3 to the back

Camber - Without a camber gauge, it'll be difficult to measure - but how much have you chaps dialled in? I suppose you could measure total length of the top wishbone from chassis mounting to strut mounting on each leg, and that'd give a decent stab...

Exhaust Bars - On or Off? I'm not putting the top plate on the bars yet.

Ta

Jason.
In order of your questions:
1. Just put a hose clamp right on the ends of the rack (inside the boots). The width of the clamp is just the right amount and the clamps can't move.
2. Toe in or Toe out? I couldn't get enough self centering with 'Toe-in' but got loads with Toe out at Robins suggestion. The objective at this stage is to past the test!
3. Caster - sounds fine.
4. Camber. I bought a cheapish magnetic clamp on gauge but you can do just a well with a DIY spirit level held vertical against the outside of the wheel and some small spacers so that it rests on the wheel hub. I think mine are set at 1 degree neg.
5. Exhaust bar
6. Steering Boss - yes, I think you'll need a collapsable boss because the BMW column is not collapsable. As Robin said, I had a special picture which I was going to use to argue the steering angle stuff in the SVA manual but didn't need it nor Robin who might be able to pass it on. I also stuck lots of rubber and a foam pad on my wheel as it would have failed the radius tests. Be carefull of cheap steering bosses from Eastern Europe as they are poorly made and not all are designed to be collapsable.
My SVA tester grabbed the steering wheel with both hands and yanked it up and down with all his strength to see if he could break it or the column mounting! Luckily it survived OK.

PM me your email address and i'll send you my compilation of failure points from other builders that I used as my checklist of things before the test. Of course, its only SVA vintage.

...peter