Thread: Rear Springs
View Single Post
Old 2nd April 2006, 08:39
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Robin,

don't know if this will help, but here is some more data.

I have fiitedd some Apex ''lowering'' springs that i picked up on ebay.(£35 the pair!)

They are 185mm free length before I fitted them. Now they're on the car (with petrol tank, diff, suspension, seats - but no body work, no petrol or anyone sitting in the car) they have compressed to about 165mm.
The halfshafts are just above horizontal, so i think with driver and passenger, they will be about horizontal.

I have no idea what the spring rating is and can't find anymore info from Apex website (but I have a part number, if you want to persue).

However, I did some very unscientific experiment yesterday. if I stand on the font of the car and bounce up and down, I can't generate about 3" movement up and down (God knows what the neighbours thought I was doing?)
If i do the same on the back, i can only get about 1.5" movement. all this tells me is that the suspension is harder at the back.

Is this good or bad, i have know idea!

As they were designed to take the full wieght of a BMW with 4 passengers and luggage, they are probably a bit hard, but at least they won't bottom out over bumps and speed humps, etc..

I'm going to stick with these until the car is on the road and then see how it all feels.

not sure if any of this helps?

Peter