Thread: #47 Spyder
View Single Post
Old 25th August 2013, 19:41

christinedmc is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Here is an update on the changes I made to the steering column. I don't know the filosofy behind the Triumph Vitesse steering, but I don't like the design so much. The steering wheel is off centred to the driver seat and the face of the wheel has an angle towards the length axle of the car. Very strange if you aren't used to it. Besides that, I would like to have the steering wheel further to me.

First of all, I bought a 15" steering wheel with a small centre hole. Then a splined quick release steering hub. I had an additional aluminium hub beeing made that would fit between steering wheel and this quick release hub.
I got a combination of two U-Joints from a Corolla (I beleive). The rod between the two can slide so you can change the distance between the two. On top of one of the u-joint's I got a flattened rod that fitts the inner steering column tube. With the two possibilities to change distance and two U-joints, I can move the steering wheel whatever it suits me. I changed the frame around the steering wheel area. (also necessary for acompaning the instruments). I made a very strong bracket that would support the steering column. Some welding and an aluminium clamp that I also had beeing made. I re-used the the original clamp aswell. The two clamps have a very strong grip om the outer column tube. The rod that goes thru the the bulkhead had to be supported. A plate with a "nuckle-bearing" would do the trick. It all was a little more complicated then I anticipated, but it works very well. It feels rock solid and the position is perfect. I got the steering wheel, the seat and the hump, all in one line now.

Michiel

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by christinedmc; 1st January 2014 at 18:05..