Thread: #47 Spyder
View Single Post
Old 30th August 2013, 06:20

christinedmc is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

Using the swing spring seems to be a good way to improve the ride and it's a common modification.
I did two things that I haven't read about on this forum before (but I could have overlooked). Firstly when I overhauled a swing spring, I renewed all the nylon/plastic caps that are between the leafs as well (besides the bushes and the pivot). The leafs should be able to move on top eachother smoothly. Mostly the plastic caps are gone or worn. New caps changes the ride (smoother), and the ride hight a little.
Secondly I had to make a modification to the brake hose. Normally you can mount the brake hose directly to the cylinder. However, the swing spring has a much bigger end (where it is fixed to the vertical). This is in the way, drawing a straight line from the hose connection on the cylinder. There is a good chance that you will be able to get the hose on. Maybe even by jacking the car a bit to give some space. And maybe it's also related to the size of lowering block (I use 1"). But you have to realise that there will be wheel travel on the ride. The last thing you want is the hose connection braking when pushed aside (repeatedly) by the spring end. (It's a single cirquit braking system and you will loose every brake!). The spitfires using the swing spring do have a modification standard. Using the bigger rear drums of a Vitesse, you need to modify them yourselve.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by christinedmc; 1st January 2014 at 18:14..