View Single Post
Old 9th February 2015, 18:15

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

In an earlier post Paul L kindly provided a link to a very interesting technique for creating hinged panels, doors, bonnet and boot lid etc.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/2642315-post17.html

Basically it uses a tubular frame, attached to the hinges and the catch/lock, the frame has a sheet aluminium flange which is dressed to the tube and riveted on. The flange is then adjusted to fit the aperture, then clad with a single outer skin. This method allows the frame to be adjusted exactly to fit the aperture both for size and alignment before the skin is attached to the frame. It also allows for secret hinges and keeps fasteners out of sight, neat idea.

I finally obtained some suitable tube over the weekend. It's nominal bore 'black iron' (In reality, red!) tube, in order to minimise weight and cost I chose 3/8" nominal bore tube, this is about 12mm bore and 17mm o/d. My challenge was to bend it to a suitably tight radius without it kinking or collapsing. Today I overcame that obstacle when I tried my large blow lamp. It was man enough to heat the tube to red hot reasonably quickly. Once red hot it bent fairly easily and with good grace, no signs of kinking or other silliness.

Here are some pix of the frame laid on the underside of the boot lid. It isn't a perfect match for the curves but I believe close enough to get the job done. I have started creating the first hinge and I am very pleased with how it's shaping up. Hopefully tomorrow I will have something to show.