View Single Post
Old 20th March 2013, 15:24
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Week 29 update.

I've started this week on remaking and refitting the transmission tunnel in it's new position so that it clears the BMW M50 gearbox. I have decided to try and make it removable and will strengthen most of the joins with steel angle.
I started at the rear point first. I've made up a aluminium 'hoop' to join the tunnel at this point. I need to remake it in thicker aluminium and make it slightly longer. I'll probably just use filler to smooth the gap once fixed in place. It provides a good location point before any other fixing.

Transmission tunnel mods. by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I then made up and fitted strips of steel angle to the floor to provide a fix point for the sides of the tunnel. This is just bolted at the moment but will be screwed and bonded when finalised. The tunnel sides will be fixed with screws into rivnuts and sealed with RTV silicone so that it can be removed, if necessary.

I've now extended one side of the tunnel down to the floor.

The other side has been 'glassed up this afternoon and is currently setting. All rather time consuming work so it doesn't look like much progress this week.

.....peter