View Single Post
Old 8th November 2014, 16:10

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Froggyman - I'm glad you like my boot lid design, as I am really pleased with it myself.
Although, if I was doing it again, I think I would drill the holes for the locking pins first.
Then I could have built the rain channel and bolt supporting brackets around them from the start.

As for my chassis, I have no intention of touching it before the new V5C arrives.
I'm really just trying to plan ahead for the time when I have to sort out my bonnet hinges.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Holes:
This was the shape I needed to cut out.

I used my stepped drill bit to get the bulk of the area removed.

Then a selection of hand files finished the job.

At this point I discovered a slight problem...

The thickness of the lid wouldn't let the locking mechanism fit through the hole.

A quick skim over the inside with my angle grinder and the problem went away.

Whilst it is possible to fit these locks without the big washer, I think it would put too much pressure on the fibreglass.

So I will keep the big shiny washers on the top (they just have a protective film on them at the moment).

I just need to do a bit more work to ensure the washer on the inside of the boot lid sits flush.

But for now, that was one down and three to go.

Thankfully I managed to get all the other holes done before the rain came down again.

Unfortunately, the photos needed a flash which makes it look darker outside than it actually was.

Note:
I left the underside of the washer facing up for the photo as this side is quite shiny too.

You can also see the rain drops on the lid and by now I had packed most stuff away as the rain boxed me in.

At least I managed to take another step in the right direction today.

Until next time, take care, Paul.