View Single Post
Old 18th March 2015, 18:23

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Cheers guys.

It's probably worth pointing out that the rear end has already had a 1" lowering block added and a brand new swing spring conversion, but it's mainly been up on axle stands from the time it was fitted until the last few days so there's been no time for the spring to settle, so before i make any more changes to the rear i'll see how it looks after a week or so!

Few more piccys to add from the last week or so:

During the build I'd been using a length of 2x4 as my bonnet prop and it was about time that I addressed it as my neighbours were taking the mick

So I found a length of 10mm alloy bar, calculated how long I wanted it, cut it to length and then bent it to an S shape with some soft-jaws in the vice and then threaded one end

Luckily a piece of box that I'd used to mount the front of the shell was in exactly the right location to act as hinge end, so a hole was drilled right the way through

And a length of alloy angle cut, shaped and drilled to act as the bracket. I also found that fitting a rubber grommet makes it look and work much more professionally.

With the 2x4 still in place to keep things steady, the bracket was bonded to the bonnet in the right location

then multiple layers of fibreglass matting were glassed over it for added strength

And with a lick of black paint, bobs ur uncle

Some of you may have spotted the foam rubber at the top of the prop. I was trying to figure out how to keep it in place when not needed, and with that bit of foam over it, when the bonnet is closed it is exactly the right size to go between my bonnet pin mount and the bonnet to stop it moving about. result!