View Single Post
Old 13th November 2012, 08:44
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniswpearce View Post

Interesting thought occured,................ as you are all thinking about possibly changing your brake pipes because of the ethanol problem ( deteriorisation of pipes ) how does that affect our daily runabouts ? Those of us who have petrol cars that is ?
Hi Dennis,
I've moved your question here....

It is my understanding that generally speaking cars made in the last 10-15 years should not be affected because the major OEM's have been aware.

In fact, I was not proposing anyone changes their hoses unless they have obvious failures and leakage (usually detected by a strong smell of petrol in your garage overnight).

The problem I was addressing is that the current IVA test for newly built kit cars doesn't actually specify what type of hose or pipes to use but you must be able to demonstrate that it is suitable. You usually demonstrate this by a) markings on the hose and b) a spec sheet from the manufacturer.

My next IVA test will likely be about 2 years from now so I need to be able to demonstrate that my hoses are suitable for the petrol in use at that time.

The rest of the discussion is described above.

My advice to you is not to worry or change anything unless you have a leak!

P.S. Its getting really confusing now as I've seen at least one respectable trade supplier advertising SAE J30R7 hose as being E10 compatible which it clearly isn't!! Ahem......