View Single Post
Old 16th December 2013, 17:57
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
You can see the oil pick up arrangement here

On the 525s the pick up was right at the front under the timing gear.

I don't know how much scope there is for chopping out that main volume of the tank without just lowering the amount of oil you put in and risking starvation on a turn.

It's been designed to drain back into that big area at the back so any custom job that makes it shallower but also the same volume stretched forward would need a similar slope.

The dipstick also goes into that part so you'd either have to go stickless, carefully modify the existing one's bottom end length or fit an electronic one.

Dry sumps are expensive e.g.
http://www.ca-int.co.uk/single_prod.php?prod_id=2028
and I've better things to spend 4K on than that, like rebuilding and fitting an M70 V12. I'm sure if an M20 fits so easily the M70 is just more of the same on the opposite side of the engine bay
After a bit more research, I agree it will be difficult to alter the sump depth without running into oil starvation issues. I've measured my sump clearance with my new wheels at 125mm, which is not too bad.

Picking up on Robin's point, it may prove beneficial to swap to a 5 Series sump, at the front of the engine, to bring it much closer to the front axle line:then only middle of the road humps will be an issue. Trouble is, if I do then I'll have to abandon my front Anti Roll Bar and buy adjustable
compression joints as this sump would pass directly over the ARB.

I may just make a sump guard and hope for the best!