View Single Post
Old 7th March 2017, 07:59

7Fan7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
You may want to read up some on this guy:
https://www.palatov.com

He was the first person to fit a V8 into an Ariel Atom and he and the guy who works in the shop next door (Tristan) have won some Pikes Peak titles in their time.

I have one of his cars, that Tristan did the major part of the assembly of. Great team and super hard working.

Check out all of his cars. One is a complete Carbon tub and frame.

You may also want to read up about the new Corvette. That might give you some ideas too.

I know you mention the 7, but perhaps using a new material may allow you to rethink the structure and layout.

Look how Ariel or rather Nick Smart, reimagined the Atom by taking a different look at the true user requirements and the materials at hand. That and a little lateral thinking (bringing in ideas from nature) resulted in something quite new and revolutionary.

What ever you decide, please keep us updated with your progress!

Edit: sorry, I'm not 100% sure they are still making the carbon version - you will have to check out the website!
Thanks a lot for that info! I'm having a look at their website and I have to say that his work is outstanding; I realise most of the chassis are made out of steel, while the body is carbon. Certainly gives extra weight-saving but with that much horsepower (5000 in the case D1PPS), whether the carbon body is really useful, besides bragging rights, I'm not quite sure it will make quite a difference.
You are right in saying that the Ariel has indeed taken true user requirements into consideration during the design phase. The seven-style cars would indeed benefit from a revamp or in fact redesign, since essentially the car hasn't developed much over the past 20years. However, a quick chat with the owners of such cars also reveal that many of them are content with the current design. It certainly has its flaws but, and I quote, they say "That's what makes the car unique and original".
I will definitely keep you updated on the findings!