View Single Post
Old 4th June 2014, 17:42

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Whoo Hoo It Starts!!!

One of the big boo-boo's i made with the Sammio donor was not getting it running _before_ i started mucking about with it and that directly led to engine issues later in the build and also body positioning issues.

So not wishing to make the same mistakes twice i tried to start the Vitesse the other day and everything was good but no spark
One quick clean of the points and re-gapping them and it started first time last night and ran _real_ sweet!

Also... it turns out that as well as having a new chassis at some point in the past and then a new Engine in 2003, it's also had new front calipers, new drums and a new fuel line and fuel pump fitted in 2003! and from a quick look underneath last night the Diff also looks brand new! So a lot of the parts that i was expecting to replace and had to replace on the Sammio have already been done

The only bad thing so far is a fubbared radiator which looks well gunked up and leaks a bit.
So after a lot of research of what other Vitesse and GT6 owners have done and based on my cooling experiences with the Countach I've opted for an Alloy rad and the one to go for seems to be an after-market Alloy Honda Civic Rad. So I've just ordered one of these from RaceSpec Performance:

With the 350x385x60mm core it will hold more volume of coolant than one of the Renault 5 GT Turbo rads on the Countach which should mean that the electric fan won't be cutting in as often and the switch from mechanical to electric should also address any over-cooling worries.

A quick dig around the garage last night turned up far more electric fans than i care to remember buying and trying on the Countach but should give me plenty of options!

Out of interest, what size electric cooling fan have others opted for?