Thread: Running reports
View Single Post
Old 26th August 2008, 22:22
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

I put another 150'ish miles on the clock at the weekend with a trip up the A40 to the Cotswolds. Very dissappointing not see another kit car on the whole journey??
I haven't raised my seat yet, but i've got used to the pedal spacing so no need to make any adjustments now i've got used to the driving position.
I hope I have fixed my wing stay problem.
On Sunday morning I removed the U clamp, cleaned all the paint off the upright and roughened it a bit with a round file to make a good key. I then cut very small hacksaw cuts on the inside of the U bit of the clamp, just about 0.5mm deep cuts to make really sharp little teeth. I then applied some 'JB Weld' epoxy glue and tightened up as much as I could with some new locknuts. I then applied more glue around the clamp and warmed it up with the hot air gun to make it flow. (the glue is not there to hold it on, just to stop it rotating under vibration)
I'll take and post a picture, but it didn't seem to move a millimetre on the trip out on Monday. I also reduced my damper settings. I'm now running on just 3 clicks from softest and the ride is nice and smooth with less 'hopping' over bumps.
I also cleaned out the fuel filter again on Sunday. Still getting some very fine residue being caught by the filter after three tankfulls of petrol.
I have developed an intermittant connection on my speedo resulting in an unstable reading occasionally. My guess is its the connector that plugs into the sensor on the diff. I might solder some wires on permenantly and junk the BMW connector.
Oh yes, and the exhaust bracket that keeps hitting the ground every time I go over a large speed bump or ditch will need to be modified!

happy building............
(P.S. Pauline is really pleased and impressed how well the heater worked on the way home as we arrived again after dark. Driving the Sportster in the dark, no windscreen, on full beams and the driving lights on is terriffic fun! )