View Single Post
Old 12th September 2017, 05:14

Welshkiwi is on a distinguished road
Default Welsh Kiwi's Build Thread - 275GTB

Hi guys,

This is the initial post as I have threatened to make on my build. A long way to go with this as Chris and Dan have some work to do to marry a set of panels up with my donor, but I will putting the short delay to good use with the donor.
Just a quick thanks to Kidge (Edgik), who without his sheer determination in getting something off the ground for this for many years, I would be left in New Zealand unable to get any kit built because of frontal impact regs. So Edgik - Cheers

See attached photos, 1999 2.8 Z3 (i know it has 3.0 on the back and no one has any history why)

Basic Plan for the kit will be:

No badges so we are not doing a replica, apart from possibly a custom "Ferrari-esque" Badge on the rear and maybe a couple of "disegno di Pininfarina" on the side as a homage to the great man and the work he did with Scaglietti. The car will be a homage to the era, not a replica.

Intended at present to be Coupe, metallic grey/gun metal with grille and chrome ornaments such as bullet mirrors, bumpers, clear front indicators, teardrops on the side and round taillights.
Interior will remain reasonably stock as I have lucked in with a beautiful black/grey interior with wood effect console, chrome trim on the gauges and good spec in electric condiments and side airbags etc. Will show pictures when I get more underway. Wooden rim steering wheel will eventuate.

Final trappings will lay 4 pipe exhaust underneath "with the required orchestra" and wire wheels and appropriate rubber. I am hoping to keep the donor originals whilst I am running round "in work and in primer" (As they are nice already), when the BMW centre's disappear. I will need a bit of time in the primer coat to normalise the "green" fibreglass and get all the residual stresses and cracking out from the bolt/bonding process and the New Zealand UV rays out. Not going to be happy with a few $K's of paint having cracks in it after a few months!

Looking forward to keeping you all in the loop with this. You are more than welcome to pay me a visit during the build, UBER fare though may be a bit restrictive for you though!

Cheers - Here we go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170909_130023a.jpg (93.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 20170909_130049b.jpg (91.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (16.9 KB, 72 views)
Available from eBay