View Single Post
Old 9th November 2014, 18:39

davecymru is on a distinguished road

TBH with my old Sammio I found that the corner of the cockpit by the hump coupled with the central tunnel and the top of the side got more of a hammering. Although I did have central seat-belts so that may have been a factor in how I got in-n-out?

That said, what I've decided to do with the Miglia is bond right-angle alloy from the top edge of the rear panels to the underside body to seal off the back of the cockpit. Then rivet an alloy Z section from the rear cockpit lip to the alloy panel. Creating a box section running along the rear edge, that should give more than enough strength

(it should make more sense in pictures when I get around to it!)

This past week has been all about the front suspension.
The new 8" x 325lbs x 2 1/2" springs turned up and I was worried at first as they do look a lot shorter than the "lowered" springs from Rimmers that I'd fitted that I'd had knocking around for a few years that turned out to be 11 1/2"

But before I could fit them I had to properly alter the spring seats on the GAZ adjustables from 2 3/4" down to 2 1/2". So it was finally time to fix and recomission the lathe I inherited from my Gramp!

With the new adjustable drive belt fitted, the spring seats were turned down to 2 1/2"
(must remember to give the lathe a damn good cleaning and oiling session at some point!)

Those seats were then refitted and based on rough calculations the initial height was were set to 1" above bottom and then everything was fitted back on to the car.

And the change to the front end was absolutely spot on!!

They are central in the wheel arches and the clearance is uniform all round!

The back end on the other hand.....

has already been lowered with a 1" lowering block and Swing Spring and atm does seem to be still sitting a bit high, but I'm hoping that by the time all of the interior is fitted and I've got some fuel in the tank it should sit better.
Otherwise I'm going to have to add another lowering block..

Last edited by davecymru; 10th November 2014 at 10:10..