View Single Post
Old 20th April 2013, 07:00
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
Looks like I'm going to have to rip out all my fuel lines and swap to SAE 30 R9.

Ever since I started the car for the first time and ran the petrol through the lines the garage has smelt petroly. Not like a fresh spill but just this back ground stink all the time. It leaks through into the house too which isn't pleasant. I thought first of all it was where I'd spilt some on the engine etc when I was changing over my injector seals but this is over three weeks now and the smell is just as strong. I can't find any leaks and have checked all hoses clips are tight. When you sniff around trying to find where it's coming from you can actually smell it through the hose. I wouldn't be surprised at this if it they'd been on for 10 years or something based on what I've read about modern fuel in R6 hose but this is only a year old (I assume).

I'm not so much worried about the extra expense, more the hassle of what was, with the engine and gearbox in, a painful job in the first place let alone with a face full of fuel on the cards
Like others, I think you have a leak as there is no E10 petrol yet and your hoses wouldn't leak so quickly.
My car was in my 'integrated' garage at home for over 5 years with petrol and never a wif of petrol.
Patrick had pin holes in his aluminium fuel tank so that is another thing to check. Do you have a filler cap fitted?