Thread: Dual 7" Servo
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2016, 08:28
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Dual Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigbo View Post
I have now got my black powder coated MBM servo fitted and linked up to the pedal with rose joint and all bolted in place and nicely aligned. I used an endoscope camera to watch it all working! The m/c is not fitted nor the tried with engine running but the pedal action has the initially stickiness before it frees. It just feels odd , like you have to press hard to make it move, after which its fine.

Can any one tell me is this normal without any engine vacuum and m/c attached or have i got a faulty servo .I so hope its not the latter as Hot Rod Jack already sent the wrong servo the 1st time .

Nigel
Hi Nigel

As you are doubtless aware several adopters of this servo had problems with sticking brakes, and it took us a long time to work out why - and I hope the answer will help with your question.

We found that the servo pulled the brakes on by itself over a period of driving. The final conclusion was that we should have been advised to fit a reasonably strong pedal return spring - the Landrover one advertised on ebay for £2.38 a pair is ideal.
And this brings me to an answer to your issue.

The dual servo must create a seal to atmospheric pressure when the pedal is at rest - if there is a leak it will effectively suck the brakes on and lead to binding and severely over heated brakes. I suspect the experience you are feeling is the 'stickiness' of that seal: it will have an internal spring to help close it off. I do not think you have a problem.

If you have not fitted the master cylinder, have you changed the adjustable screw in the output rod end? The supplied adjuster is not quite long enough to engage with the Sierra master cylinder: it must be change for a longer dome headed screw. This can be difficult, as there is a lock nut to be loosened before it will unscrew, and access in the deep recess is difficult. The best solution is to depress the input shaft in a wide vice with wooden jaws (a B&D Workmate is ideal) - this keeps the output shaft and nut easily accessible.

You will be amazed at how it transforms your Sportster: you can drive it harder, with much more confidence.

Goodluck, and let us know what you think when you have it up and running.

Mike