View Single Post
Old 20th October 2019, 07:33

SwiftyDS is on a distinguished road

Bit of a nightmare day on the car yesterday. I should have just put the door cards back in and I would be ready for the MOT.....instead I took another look at the door rod/handle set up on the drivers door.

Big mistake. I still wasn’t 100% happy with the action and could see a bit of play in the rod I’d used to piggyback from the Sierra handle to the MR2 latch rod. First mistake was to try to reshape this which just resulted in the 4mm rod snapping!

So I had already ordered some new 4mm stainless rod which arrived mid afternoon and I managed to bend this and get a better radius in the area I was trying to sort.

So back onto the car and I’m tightening up the connector block (a repurposed central locking rod clamp) when the thread in the aluminium block strips. They’ve been on and off the rods as I shaped the bar originally and then when the door skins were bonded on so no real surprise. Nightmare indeed and no spares.

It was time to call it a day and I’ve ordered 4 new connectors/rod clamps but they won’t arrive until later in the week. I might try and see if a new grub screw in the connector works today but I will need to wait for the new blocks now before the door cards can go back - i had also planned on doing the same on the passenger door as well as there is also play in the rod on that side.

Last edited by SwiftyDS; 20th October 2019 at 07:35..