Thread: Dino 206P
View Single Post
Old 1st March 2014, 19:44
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road

Hi Axel, congratulations on undertaking such a fantastic project. I admire anyone willing to take on new skills with metal shaping. The 206sp has always been a favourite of mine and the Italian V6 is it's heart. I agree with other posters here that the Alfa v6 is the best money for passion option. I once posted a link to a photo of such an engine in someone's Ferrari P4 replica:

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5...yaugusthw9.jpg

So you can see it can be fitted in your chassis with an adapter plate. Other gearboxes besides the Renault include the Porsche Boxster/Audi which is cheaper than a 911 box and better suited.

Many years ago I visited the guys in Invercargill New Zealand who were making a few exact replicas of the 206sp. They had a chassis or two and the aluminium panels - which I photographed. A guy in Queenstown had expertly made the body from scratch over a wooden buck in the original way. Here is a link to some more info on it:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/acalvert/205.html

And there were some youtube videos of it in action, if I can find them. They offered to buy my Fiat Dino 2 litre motor, which is the road- going version of the engine used in the sports racing version. Costs for these engines are easily ten times the Alfa v6 though. So unless you want ultra precise replication why would you bother? And you have a 105% body size so I see that is not the path you wish to follow.

I see on the German gt40 site people are suggesting all sorts of engines/gearboxes. The Fiat 130 v6 of 3.2 litres is a good engine but it is old, low powered by today's standards and only loosely connected to the Dino ( it was developed by the team that had reworked the Dino, in conjunction with Ferrari, for road-going reliability, including Lampredi - one of the all-time great ferrari engine designers, now working at Fiat). The Mazda KLZE is indeed great but front drive only ( see clairetoo's posts on locostbuilder uk website for adapter plate and info). The three litre mazda v6 is a totally different old lump of a design. Of course a Porsche Boxster engine/box would be great and easy, as would a Subaru flat4. But no Italian-ness!