View Single Post
Old 4th February 2018, 16:05

PeterRobinson is on a distinguished road

Just to keep you all abreast of this problem, I will bring you up to date with today's developments.

I spent much of the day explaining the four stroke engine cycle to my mum. She sniggered far too much if you ask me - I don't know whether it was the repeated mention of "suck-squish-bang-blow" or the accompanying hand gestures that perfectly mimicked an 80mm reciprocating stroke

But two evenly spaced spark events per engine cycle and two squirts per engine cycle ensure that the ECU does not treat cylinder 1 any differently at all from cylinder 4. Coupled with the fact that I have moved every component from cylinder 1 to cylinder 4 - injector, injector wiring, ignition lead, coil output terminal and spark plug - and the problem is always with cylinder 1, means that the problem is breathing/mechanical. Thus I finally accepted my inevitable descent into madness and took the cam covers off to check that the cam lobes were still there. They seemed to be in good condition. and the followers were still pressed up against the cams as though the valves are still retained. On reassembly the engine still runs with its consistent uneven 3 cylinder note and the #1 exhaust primary pipe stays cold.

This is a wonderful car - an absolute driver's tool and a joy to control on road or track but it is making me quite deranged at the moment. Even if it costs money I need to solve this problem so I put up a budget/reward of £150 pounds for anyone who can solve the puzzle, or part of the reward if necessary just for a suggestion leading to the solution even if is just the suggestion of a troubleshooter who can shed a light on it. I'm in Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham. Thanks all.