View Single Post
Old 25th July 2010, 23:40

PaulC is on a distinguished road

This seems to be coming along nicely, congratulations. That finished (green) car is a nice advert for the kit. Might I offer my own thoughts? Please feel free to tell me if/why I'm wrong.

From the bonnet intake aft I like it a lot and wouldn't change a thing. The rear is beautiful and I think the hump behind the driver is absolutely spot on. That alone sells it to me.

The front though, have you considered anything slightly different? At the moment it reminds me of those 60's attempts at amphibious cars or an Alpine and doesn't quite match the rest of the car. I suppose the best way to describe it would be if I first saw the car from behind I'd think "Wow!", as I walked up the side "Mmmmm, nice" but upon reaching the front "Errrrr....." where I'd stop and try to work out what troubled me. Actually I just had another look at the pictures and I've got it. Everything else is rounded or curved, the wings, arches, headlamps, that rear end, the hump and the bonnet intake whereas the front grille is square. If I had one I'd seriously consider modifying it to something like this:

I see you've gone from a Herald to a Spitfire chassis so assume a GT6 would fit the bill too? A car I've had at the back of my mind for some time is the Type 48 http://www.corsaspyder.com/Brief_history.html which is also Spitfire/GT6 based. Hmmmm. If I sold my TVR I could have one of those, one of yours and a Porsche Spyder replica!

Have you roughed out any prices for other build stages? £750 for the shell I see but I think you mentioned here or one your site the possibility of a completed car.

Lastly and please don't take this the wrong way as I suspect your choice might have been personal, perhaps based upon the name of a friend or relative but the name? Sammio conjures up two images for me. The first is of the Pilgrim Sumo, a budget Cobra kit, and the second of a Korean hatchback of some description. I think something 'classic' would top it off nicely.

Last edited by PaulC; 25th July 2010 at 23:44..