View Single Post
Old 13th March 2016, 07:10

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Roadster - I like the idea of a 'Racetrack Refugee', but not necessarily the rusty look for this car.
( Although I am a big fan of 'Sin City Motors' and rat rods. )

So I should really give a better explanation of the photos I used in my last post.

I don't want to create fake patina to make the car look older than it is, as that is way beyond my skill levels.

It is more me accepting there is a limit to the standard of paint finish I can achieve working outside with a brush.

I will still try to achieve the best finish that I can, but, deep down, I know it will not end up looking as good as this.

The key, for me at least, is seeing other cars that are "lived in" being enjoyed for what they are, regardless of paint finish.

Here is another car at Goodwood, that certainly appears to have had a hard life.

I certainly hope no one criticised the fact it didn't have perfect, shiny paint!

So my plan remains to get the car MOT'd in primer (just incase I need to make any further mods to get a pass).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jeff - Welcome to my build thread.

Fair play for working your way though this thread, it is certainly a lot longer than I hoped it would be when I started.

Spooky that you should mention Preston Road, as that is where I was suffering in the dentist's chair yesterday.
( My jaw still aches this morning. )

I think that rusty paint is an amazing thing, but as I said above, not what I am aiming for on this build.

Also, I don't want you to think I am ignoring your good advice on how to get a great paint finish either.
( As it is nice to have the experience of a professional on the forum. )

Again, it is more like there is a definite limit to what I can achieve, so I just need to accept that and be happy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Steam Punk
While looking through Google Images yesterday, this popped up.

Again, just because it isn't a shiny one, doesn't mean it wont turn heads.

Take care, Paul.