View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2015, 18:22

Paul L is on a distinguished road

One Of Those Days - Part 1:
It all started off well enough as I got some black paint on the fill in panel on the steering column cover.

I also painted the bottom half of the number plate light bracket on both sides.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Then a sign of things to come arrived when I pulled the headlight shells out of their storage box.

Unfortunately, I had completed the wiring for one headlight before threading it through the shell.

So I carefully separated the wires from the block connector...

Only to find that the grommet wouldn't go into place unless threaded from the other side.

I was so annoyed at the fact I had to unpick the block connector at the other end I forgot to take a photo.

Eventually, the wires were secure in the headlight shell and all the connectors were back were they started.

Originally, I was going to use 3 self tapping screws to fit the headlight and had even cut 3 holes in the rubber seal.

Now I have decided to use 4 bolts instead, so I had to sort out the relevant holes in both the shell & the rubber seal.

The next small problem of the day was due to the fact the holes in the bonnet were not quite big enough.
( Due to the way the rubber seal wraps around the shell. )

A bit of filing down later and the shell on the driver's side could be pushed into place, ready to drill the fixing holes.

In order to make sure all the holes were in the right place, I did them one at a time, pushing each bolt into place as I went along.

Eventually, I had all four holes in the bonnet and the headlight shell could be fitted.

Thankfully, the passenger side only required a small bit of filing in a few areas.

Then following the same steps as before, that side was done too.

Note:
By now I had marked each shell, just in case there was any slight variation from one to the other.

For now, I've just tightened up two bolts on each shell, leaving the other two bolts loose.

And this is the view from the front.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

End of Part 1...