View Single Post
Old 30th October 2015, 18:46

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Just a little bit ...
Well it looks like I got the timing just right yesterday, as it has been wet ever since I put the covers on.

Thankfully, the weather finally cleared up this afternoon, so I could make a bit more progress...

I clamped the sides of the body shell to the lowest part of the framework to hold it in place.
( The areas in front of the rear wheel arches have a tendency to flare out a bit. )

Whilst the clamps did a great job of pulling the sides of the body shell in, this meant my "bridges" were now too deep.

So what I should have done was clamp the side in before I made the templates.

Still, nothing a quick session with the angle grinder couldn't sort out.

I also cut out two small sections of fibreglass to match templates I made to bridge the gap between the Spitfire arches and the body shell.

I also cut out two sections of plywood to start the process of sealing the boot floor to the body shell.
( I think this will be easier to do in smaller sections, rather than one big piece. )

Then I quickly painted/treated the freshly cut edges, so they will be ready to fit tomorrow.

Then I taped the adjusted bridges to both the floor join and the "top" join on both sides.
( The tie down straps are currently connected to the "middle" section of framework. )

Finally I taped the bridges to the wheel arches.

Note:
I haven't decided the best way to completely seal off this gap, but these small pieces should hold the body shell in position.

I then added the first few layers of fibreglass matting to all the pieces on the passenger side.

I was just cleaning the brush in preparation for starting on the driver's side when it started raining.

Luckily, I was able to tidy everything up and get the covers on before it came down too hard, but no photos.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The early end to car work, meant a change of plans and I took one of my daughters to the latest Bond film.

You really can't beat seeing a Bond film on the big screen and I'll be humming the theme tune for the rest of the day.

Until next time, take care, Paul.