View Single Post
Old 8th November 2015, 14:59

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Remembrance Sunday:
Hard to believe we were actually at the Tower of London poppy field this time last year.

Anyway, I didn't want to be doing any car work during the 2 minute silence this year.

So I mixed up another batch of bonding paste and got to work early.

The cockpit floor panels went it.

I had to use a rock to hold the driver's side in place due to the angles involved.

Next I added the two small panels between the frame and the body shell on either side of the rear cockpit corners.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After watching a bit of the Cenotaph service on TV, I went back out and did another round of bonding.

I added both the fibreglass panel and the plywood one to the passenger side at the rear of the body shell.

Before adding the plywood one to the driver's side.

Notes:
- At this point I've added more support to the passenger side as it is still held down by a tie down strap.
- The drain hoses for the boot lid rain channel will exit through the next panels to be fitted in between these two.

I also did the panels between the Spitfire rear arches and the body shell arches.

It was not easy to get a camera into this space, let alone get a decent photo, but hopefully this gives you the general idea.
( More paste will be added after this has initially set in position. )

I then used the last of the paste to start filling in the gaps between the bulkhead and rear framework.

Before:

After:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Later I returned outside expecting to add some more bonding paste, but there was a fine mist developing.

So it was back on with the covers and creating just a small area to work in.

But that was enough to cut out the next round of templates.
( 2 x cockpit side supports + 2 cockpit floor vertical panels )

Then with the car now covered up completely, I cut the panels out at the bottom of the garden.

Before giving them an extra coat of paint/wood preserve paint.

It is still misty here, so I am going to call that a day.

Until next time, take care, Paul.