View Single Post
Old 20th February 2019, 17:43

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Another thing to bare in mind is that just because it's galvanised doesn't mean it will automatically be ok! The chassis on my rickman is galvanised but had rusted through (it would appear from inside out) in one place (it is about 30 years old though!) The other thing is that it's a pig to weld once it's been galvanised - lots of grinding the surface, and still it spat all the time I was welding it. Prior to my welding it the MOT man got out his tape measure and said "it's ok as it's over 30cm from spring attachment", but I suspect he would have failed it otherwise, even though it's only a chassis outrigger with GRP body sitting (it not bolted at that point) to it - the main chassis rails do the 'work'. He then proceeded to break off my gear level because he didn't know to push the lever down to get it in reverse! Cue an hour removing it, him MIG welding it and me bolting it back. His weld only penetrated 2mm as evidenced when the lever broke again 2 days later
I arc welded it and then heated it red to stress relieve and it's lasted 2 years -Ooer I've done it now haven't I