View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2015, 23:01
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust system - Plan B

I've decided to ditch the original BMW front section of the exhaust system because the pipes in front of the cats clash with the Sabre's gearbox chassis crossmember. (It was kind of free with the donor and bit rusty so no great loss). Looking around for other options I found this aftermarket front section in Eurocarparts Black Friday sale.
Exhaust system - Plan B by marlinpeter, on Flickr
Looking at this picture I thought I could cut the pipes in front of the cats and use the flexi's to get round the chassis issues.

So I ordered the Eurocarparts aftermarket exhaust front section and this is what arrived.........

Exhaust system - Plan B by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Initially, I was quite disappointed that it was nothing like the one pictured on their website but offering it up under the car opened up some new options.
It is designed for the M50B28 engine but is quite different from the original OEM design. (Wrapper still on in this shot as I hadn't yet decided whether to keep it or take it back for a refund)

This is the Klarius (part # 380824) aftermarket front section. In this shot the front part of the pipes that join to the exhaust manifolds have been removed and a extension piece has been inserted in front of the catalytic converter.

Exhaust - Plan B by marlinpeter, on Flickr

A 185mm length of 57mm diameter exhaust pipe TIG welded by a local engineering firm between the 'cat' and the two into one joint.

'Cat' and front curved pipes now clear the gearbox chassis crossmember.

'Cat' now sits neatly between the chassis crossmembers. (Center hanger not yet fitted in this shot).

I think I can also use the standard BMW gearbox support brackets. (This is the first fitting trial and the bracket needs a bit of 'adjustment' to get the pipes in the right position.)

Stainless steel Polylock flexi's used to connect up to the exhaust manifolds.

Overall view of the front section.

And now ground clearance maximised with very little below the the chassis!

This will be my last update this year so Merry Christmas and happy new car building for 2016!!

...peter