View Single Post
Old 15th July 2017, 22:02
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Steering

When I first got the Sabre it was fitted with a Sierra manual steering rack and column extension pieces.
I decided to fit a Granada power steering rack and what I think is the relevant extension piece. When I assembled all this for the first time I was worried that the lower column extension does not align with the steering rack pinion which puts a lot of strain on the rubber isolator. However, looking at another Sabre at the Stoneleigh kitcar show I confirmed that I have the right parts and they are assembled in the right way. The other Sabre also demonstrates this alignment issue suggesting that this is a common problem with the power steering rack. I thought a better alignment could be achieved by re-positioning the fixed midway bearing so I eventually got round to fixing this.

Steering column alingment by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I have re-positioned the bearing upward and inwards towards the engine so that the lower steering coupling is aligned to the input shaft of the steering rack. The upper steering shaft now runs parallel to the chassis rail and approx. horizontal.

Steering intermediate bearing by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The lower coupling is now aligned with the input shaft to the power steering rack. This means that there is no additional strain on the rubber disc.

Lower Steering coupling by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Rear side of bearing showing details of the extension plate. Not very pretty but functional and very solid.The plate will be painted and fitted with nylocks.

Steering intermediate bearing by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

next job is the power assisted steering hoses.......

...peter

Last edited by peterux; 15th July 2017 at 22:03.. Reason: grammer