View Single Post
Old 5th March 2016, 18:59

swifty is on a distinguished road

Today i started to try and and make the ally nose trim, first a former was made from 24mm mdf joining four piece together to make the required thickness.

IMG_6385.jpg

Replicated the bonnet oval as close as i could with a radius edge matching the bonnet.

IMG_6390.jpg

Screwed the trim center point to the former which left the ends of the ally curved to the front.

IMG_6389.jpg

After heating the ally a number of times then working it around the former the ends were pulled back in line with the back edge of the former, my intentions are to trim the back edge once the front edge is worked to the correct curve. The ally stretches fairly easy if its kept hot and worked with a radius slapper tool.

IMG_6392.jpg IMG_6393.jpg

Worked one half around the former then flipped over and did the same to the other half. The joining ends will be trimmed to length once the trim has been formed and still thinking on how i can finish the two joins, might have to machine a thin cover strip.

Still not convinced it will look ok but at the minute i think a brushed surface finish will be required to flatten the slapper tool marks left in the ally.

Well that's it for now see you all soon