Thread: Car Went Well
View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2018, 15:58

freeman41 is on a distinguished road
Post Car Went Well

Completed the rally over the weekend of 21st - 23rd September and covered just short of 500 miles. Car performed very well, lots of 3rd gear work through the back roads of the Yorkshire Dales and the North York Moors in the company of friends in a TVR Chimera, so pushed the car fairly hard at times.

Problem? No breakdowns, exhaust leak at the rear section and leak from pinion nose seal which allowed oil to drip onto exhaust, we had fumes coming into the cabin which is rather strange on an open top car.
The alternator pulley worked loose allowing the fan behind the pulley to chatter. This also allowed the key to move so no amount of tightening up cured this or prevented further damage.
The car under steered at times but with a 6 cylinder lump of cast iron up front and a light back end, no wonder.
The breaks worked well but old school motoring, think ahead, meant when I came through the bend the TVR was well ahead.
The car bottomed out quite a lot, so the coilovers need more adjustment. Also a rethink on the tyres is needed. On wet roads, especially roundabouts the back end would let go and the wheels would spin when setting off. The car was fully loaded with 2 people on board so not much chance of getting more weight over the back wheels. I reduced the tyre pressure to 25psi, this did improve things a bit.

I was very happy with the shakedown run and wished this was the start of summer and not the end.

Had to buy new alternator, shaft was worn with the pulley and fan rattling, pinion seal on order from Moss. A busy few days ahead.

Cheers Trevor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180922_144024.jpg (96.4 KB, 48 views)
Available from eBay