View Single Post
Old 14th July 2016, 08:51

Paul L is on a distinguished road

accobra - Welcome to the forum.

Before answering your framework question, can I just ask how you are planning to make this car road legal?

Are you intending to use the "rebody" rules, or take the finished car for an IVA test?

As the answer to that question will influence the answer to your framework question.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The following Sammios (see separate sub-forum on here) have all gone down the rebody route.

Which means the internal framework can only be bolted to the chassis, not welded to it.

This is Mister Towed's bodywork on the outside:

Underneath he has a cut down Triumph Herald bulkhead, some simple framework and home made floors.

Whereas, Oxford1360 took the same external body work and modified it to do this.

And changed the internal framework completely until it looked like this.

I am still building my Sammio, which is a different model to the ones above and that now looks like this on the outside.

And I have ended up with my own Frankenstein creation of various Triumph Spitfire, Sammio Cordite & home made framework parts underneath.

Hopefully this shows there is no single correct way to approach this, other than make sure it is solid and safe.

Note: In the case of all three cars above, the fibreglass body shell is bonded to the internal framework and not connected to the chassis directly.

Hope that helps and good luck, Paul.