Thread: Stewarts build
View Single Post
Old 7th October 2012, 09:21

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Having moved my entire bulkhead assembly back 20mm to improve tyre clearance, I had the same problem with the resovoir caps being trapped under the edge of the bulkhead. My solution was to put an angled recess at that point and 'notch' the front edge of the bulkhead so you can get the caps on and off.

I took a similar approach in recessing the (aftermarket) brake servo and the battery.

Looking back at various thread now I can see that some people have had major issues with the bonnet to bulkhead alignment, while others, like mine, have been relatively straightforward.

My personal opinion on this one is that I think it's due to the original mule chassis and bulkhead that Gary used to develop the frames and bodies not being quite the same dimensions as customer donor cars.

This is in no way meant to be a criticism of Gary as I believe no two Triumphs ever left the factory exactly the same when they were new. As an example, Phil J and I only live about eight miles apart, so we can regularly drop by and compare cars. All three are '68 or '69 Vitesse based, but the engines are mounted at noticeably different angles in Phil's two cars, with the blue one being almost level while the green one sits much higher at the front (like mine).

Additionally, both the cars that Phil's completed will take 175/80/14 tyres without fouling the front bulkheads. Mine, however, appears to have the mounting points for the front suspension arms about an inch and a half further back on the chassis than either of his. This meant that I had to move my bulkhead back 20mm and bash the faces of the footwells in with a lump hammer to clear 175/70/14's.

Another thing I noticed when I bonded my body on was that I could either have the rear edge of the cockpit properly aligned with the frame, or the front edge of the cockpit above the dash properly aligned, but not both together. I chose to have the dash end straight meaning the frame touches the inside edge of the back of the cokpit on the o/s, but there's a gap of about an inch between the back edge of the cockpit and the frame on the n/s. If I'd bonded the body on straight at the back, that inch of misalignment would've been at the front, which possibly explains the mismatch between bulkhead and bonnet that some people are experiencing.

I hope that all makes some sense to some of you and sorry for posting such a lengthy thread.