View Single Post
Old 15th February 2014, 17:22

Viatron is on a distinguished road

Well today started out badly but ended ok. On arrival at the workshop there was no power to any of the sockets and e breaker wouldn't reset. I tried unplugging everything fom the sockets but still no joy, unfortunately we share our main ring with the unit next door and he wasn't in so we were unable to check if he had anything still plugged in...drat!

A bit of a lurk around though revealed that that part of our ring dissapeared into a derelict building next door to serve a single socket, as soon as I started loosening the face plate to have a look water started pouring out...bingo! Anyway we pulled the cable back through the wall and chopped it back and put another double socket on our side of the wall that we had lying around so a double win! Electrics fixed and another double socket in the workshop, you can't have too many sockets in the workshop!

Anyway that wasted pretty much half of the day but we did make some progress. Decided where to mount the fuse box and relay holder of the loom I bought from Langys Rod Shop,

If you can't picture it it's suspended upside down underneath the dash on the passenger side.

Ran the cable down the outside of the frame from front to rear using rivet on cable saddles every 6 inches or so.
[IMG]Jhttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TFQoXB4rboc/Uv-quFwNs_I/AAAAAAAAF-k/8oAeIF8gBF4/s640/2014_%2525202_15_17_57.jpg[/IMG]

The cabling is cable tied in temporarily at the moment as I need to add a fuel pump feed to the rear and didn't have any cable heavy enough but it will not take long. The loom is very long so once in place I cut off the approx 4 foot of excess at the back leaving at least a foot longer than I think I will need. The front is even longer! I reckon it would stretch at least 4 foot beyond the headlamps if I wanted it too.

We also got the pedal box finally mounted in place, little bit of compromise required, it's about 3/4" further back than I would have liked but the external master cylinders were too close the the tyre for my liking, will still have to fit rack limiters to take about 1" out of the turning radius of the front wheels but I don't see that as a major issue.

We also finished running the fuel line front to rear and installed earths for the rear lights and actually terminated the wiring at the fuel gauge sensor.

No updates until next weekend unfortunately as I have a work project starting on Monday but will be back at it next Saturday.

On a slightly sad note I have decided that once finished she will be up for sale. Whilst away on holiday we purchased our retirement home, wasn't expecting to do it until next year but the right property came up at the right price. We want to replace the roof and needs must so I have agreed with SWMBO that my toy count will be decreased to pay for it and her sacrifice is that she will not be keeping the Navigator :-(
Related to this is the decision on whether or not to proceed with making and fitting doors, I want this to be finished to a high standard and if I was keeping it would definately fit doors but now it's more of a commercial decision I am not totally convinced that adding doors will add enough additional value considering the time and effort involved, anyone care to comment? What do you guys think?

So in short if anyone wants a fully built navigator let me know, it's not in paint yet so could be painted any colour you want! I will be romping ahead to try and get it finished in the next 2 or 3 months so it should be ready for the summer

TTFN

Mac

Last edited by Viatron; 15th February 2014 at 17:26..