View Single Post
Old 5th April 2015, 17:47

Viatron is on a distinguished road

The next few posts are not in any necessary order just trying to catch up on jobs that have been completed, so without further ado..

Ignition System
Ran into a few issues with the Nodiz, I'm still a big fan but the latest issue meant the unit had to go back again. Have to stress that this was an early adopter unit I purchased at a bargain price and reviews of the latest ones are very good. Anywhoooo. decided that with time marching on I purchase something a little more tried and tested and period correct to boot so a quick trip down to Powerspark in Bromsgrove and a 15 minute wait whilst they built it for me resulted in this:

Its a brand new fixed advance distributor with magnetic pickup, a high output coil, set of new plug leads and a new Aldon Amethyst ignition box. Have to say I was very happy with it, had to use part of the existing distributor clamp and part of the one that cam with the new distributor and weld the 2 bits together but apart from that it all went together very easily...until I was a tad heavy handed getting the distributor pedestal removed and this happened:

Bugger! looked around and the likes of Canley only have second hand and wanted up to £35!!! WTF!!! Spitbitz found me one for £8...much better.

So why was I trying to remove the pedestal you may ask? well when we had the engine running originally there was a worrying rattle and I thought it sensible to check the distributor drive end float which is set using different thickness gaskets:

A short delay waiting for the new pedestal though resulted in this:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/uVJQo5ZigbM

Very happy as it sounds very fruity. more in a bit.

TTFN
Mac