View Single Post
Old 1st August 2013, 21:06

redfarmer84 is on a distinguished road

well..........I got it!!!!!! Ended up paying $650 for the Astra VW GT Car, a 1950s John Deere A tractor (parts tractor), and a 1966-68 VW Beetle (complete, stuck engine), plus some extra doors and rear hood for the VW. Thought I got a fair deal. The VW engine in the Astra car is loose, all wheels/rims are rusted through and the rears are frozen and won't roll. The body seems solid and not "beat up". Found out a little story about it.....in the late 60s the Previous Owner bought it and built it himself. He was a pilot in the Air Force and flew in WW2. In the early 70s, he had (2) tours overseas. For both tours, he shipped the Astra GT car over to Germany and he and his wife toured the countrysides in Germany, Switzerland, and other countries. The odometer (assuming it worked) shows just under 10,000 miles. I also got a service mans book for working on VW engines. Inside, I found a MINT, perfect reciept from a VW dealer....like a service ticket or something. I couldn't tell you what it is becuase.....it's all in GERMAN!!!! Both the print and the handwriting. The ticket is date stamped September 1971....which holds up to the story the daughter told me! He must have taken the car in for service over there! I told her before she tosses anything in the trash, to be on the lookout for ANY other papoerwork, pictures, or manuals regarding the Astra GT car. It would be awesome to have some pictures of it overseas! The previous owner is still alive (93 years old), but has severe demensia and doesn't know anything. It is ashame I couldn't talk with him about his car.

I'm planning on doing a full restoration....hope it doesn't break the bank!