View Single Post
Old 1st October 2023, 09:31

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Matching Switches - ish.

A few days ago, when weather permitted, I swapped the tacky plastic switch for the 'Repro Lucas' item I'd bought on Ebay. It has a galvanised looking finish, unlike the chrome original, and the mechanism behind is encased in a soft plastic shell rather than the hard black plastic of the Lucas item. Only time will reveal if it will A) tarnish and/or B) fail early. I'll keep looking for an original on Ebay.

It's the one to the right of the indicator gubbins.

Having fitted the electric fan, I began wondering about the thermostat as I couldn't recall having fitted a new one - a trawl through this blog proving fruitless. There was one fitted, which I removed for testing - it was a dud, refusing to open in a pan of boiling water. Not a lot of good. I ordered a new one c/w gasket and cleaned the mating surfaces of its housing and the top of the water pump. Once it arrived I fitted it, fired her up, and watched in dismay the resulting mini Niagara . I think the problem was the tissue thin gasket. Anyway, I've ordered a couple of new ones and some likely looking gasket goo, having not found a supplier of my reliable six decade standby, Red Hermatite. If all goes well I shall take her to Prescott next Saturday.

Regards, Mick