View Single Post
Old 17th November 2018, 17:25

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking Chipping Away

This week's progress has been bitty, with not a huge deal to show. I bought sundry fixings, including spring catches in black for the bonnet, plus black bolts for fixing them. This will be post-spraying, which doesn't seem that far away. I'll go and see my man next week to discuss. I whizzed over to see my welder on Thursday in the A352 and, fortunately, he wasn't busy and welded my last two wing brackets on the spot. Excellent!

On the way there the Turner I'd seen at a spring show passed the other way with a wave.

I made and fitted the two bottom radiator brackets, then turned my attention to the transverse support for the pedal box. I don't think it's really necessary, as the mounting to the bulkhead is extremely rigid, but, belt and braces, as ever. I roughly measured the length of ¾" angle that I would need across the top of the footwell and cut a length of batten oversize which I shortened by small increments until it sat perfectly in position - wood assisted design! Laying it on the steel, marking and cutting took moments. More careful measuring and drilling and the screws into the horizontal mounting points were in place. The ends I attached to the body with strip bolted to the angle and Dreadnought rivetted through the sides as I'd done elsewhere.

I was thrilled with how well it had all gone together until I noticed that I'd neglected to make allowance for the end mounting of the throttle cable outer. Another day!

This morning, body removal assistance yet again being unavailable, I measured my seats and ordered the black faux leather vinyl with which they'll be covered. I then decided to make the two front plates to tidy the holes hacked in the body sides to clear the front of the frame. Once again CAD came to the rescue and a careful hour with the tin snips had them made. These again won't be fitted until spraying and final bolting down of the body. I'll need to cut off a couple of the moulded in rivets, and use 4mm ones for attachment.

I deliberately made them rough side out, as I like the 'hasty mid-race paddock repair' look

That was it.

Regards, Mick