View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2013, 09:05

HouseMartin is on a distinguished road
Default August update

Guys,

I have swapped a holiday in Greece for a week at home on th G46.
Like mike I have had starter problems so it has been stripped and all the rust and corrosion removed and reassembled so it works on the bench.
I will fit it today, so hopefully can get the motor going and move it out into the sun.
However, I managed to get the bonnet to hinge on the headlight pods, but not sure if the gatehinge is strong enough quality.
I worry about a flutering bonnet at 70mph. Before I glass over it should I get a more robust item?
The final plan is a lift off bonnet with a pin through the headlight pod, but this will give me access and make moving the car a lots easier.

I was not happy with the proved frame simple bolting to fibreglass with no actual contact to the main chasis.
So I have managed to weld the old roll over bars to the supplied frame.
I will do simiar with the A posts. I am also thinking of a race to the rear chasis. is think over kill?

I now need to think about seat belt mounts.

I do like the solution used by Mr Towed where the passenger and driver inertia belts are swapped and mounted centrally.
This stops them getting stuck in doors and requires only 1 strengthened point high up in the frame.
Do you have any photos or that area?

I have manged to make use of the old a frames and scimitar hinges.
However I need to find a way to mount the door to the hinge.

Ideally I want a steel beam through the door to the door catch, similar to the TVR.
I hope to use the old scimitar door lock/catches.
However I believe special burst free catches are required on open top cars.
Aa a pot hole on a high speed corner could cause the door to open and the body twists.
Has anyone experience this?

Cheers HM