View Single Post
Old 5th March 2017, 17:39

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

From what I've read on the subject, carbon fibre isn't really an improvement on GRP for the kit-car market.

Although it's often described as 'stronger' than the equivalent weight of fibreglass or steel, what those who use the term mean is that it's more rigid than fibreglass or steel of the same thickness, so can be made lighter than either.

That sounds great, but it actually means that for a vehicle body or boat hull it isn't such a forgiving material as fibreglass, which will distort then return to its original shape under moderate impact forces, where carbon fibre would shatter. On a racing car the (minimal) weight saving might be worthwhile, but the increased complexity of production, cost and inherent fragility of carbon fibre would put me off using it for a home-built kit car project.

If you're set on using it then I'd consider coming up with an original design rather than yet another seven, and pitching it as a turn-key car at around the price of a Boxster or high-spec Elise for sale to those who like to brag about their unused weekend toy's technical specification after they've driven their seven series to the golf club.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.