View Single Post
Old 30th October 2009, 06:13

nutter is on a distinguished road

Seems you need a bit of clarity here.

Calipers
The front calipers from the donor go onto the rear of the 5EXi, this allow for the use of the donor driveshafts etc .
You then need a new set up for the front.

2 x Willwood aluminium 4 pot (front) calipers £ 160.00 pr
2 x Front brake discs - Vented VW/EXi £ 30.00 pr
1 x Set road/race brake pads for front calipers £ 20.00

You can also use the pedal box from the Donor if you wish.
But a Marlin pedal has advantages, such as front/rear balance bar.
Hydralic clutch,
If you use a VAG donor, the throttle is electronic, so no cables or wires here, you remove the Accelerator from the Marlin pedal box and put in the electronic one from your donor.

As for a donor, you might struggle to find an Audi A3 or VW in budget.
Seats and Skodas are the same kit but your not paying for the badge. What ever you use the main problem is geometry the driveshafts mainly need to be the right length. A3 and Cupras seem to match, no gurantee available anything else will, as it is un-tried.

Hence I went for the Seat Cupra 180Bhp.
You can find a lot of 150Bhp models, and Cupra R's (in budget) are rare.
I paid £2200 for my donor, X Reg, 63K miles, MOT, but it had Some minor Body Panel Damage (Hence cheap, car without damage should of been £3500).
The problem is since the government introduced the scrap scheme, people are trading in cars, under this scheme the cars MUST be scrapped from a UK registration point of view, These cars actually end up in Poland. This is having the adverse effect for suitable donor cars for the kit car market. Hence suitable donors are more expensive than say 2yrs ago

Try looking on some salvage sites, find a CAT C or CAT D damage repairable
http://www.douglasvalley.co.uk/
http://www.asalvageyard.co.uk/
These cars may NOT be driveable, so you will need to arrange a trailer or flat bed. Personally the thought of paying a bit more and being able to drive it gives you some assurance that what you need from the donor actually works.
Ebay and Autotrader are perhaps the best places, look DAILY for new adverts in Autotrader, I got mine the same day it appeared online. Good luck

Quote:
Also, what's happening about the wiring loom? Do Marlin sell them for the car?
Yes Marlin will sell a you a special wire loom for the 5EXi, it currently being developed for the VAG engine series , they do not have them available off the shelf yet.